Monday, May 12, 2014

13arts May Challenge!

Good morning everyone. Hoping all is well with you :) 
Today I want to share with you a special layout. It is created for 13arts for the May challenge using mainly 13arts materials. 

Did you know that The Flying Unicorn carries most of the 13arts products that are available? You will find them HERE

I also wanted to share with my Australian friends some awesome news!! The Australian online store Sassy Scrapper is now carrying a huge range of 13arts mists, paints, mediums, and paper collections!!! YAY! 
So if you are in Australia and have wanted to try these out then have a look HERE


You will find the 13arts blog with all the information here

This is what the challenge requires..

Rules of challenge #18:
1. Create a vintage layout with a flower and min 2 mediums - you can use paints, modeling paste, inks, mists, gel medium, gesso...
2. Publish your project on your blog and add link directly to the post using Inlinkz tool at the end of this post.
  3. Please add link and info about our challenge, where your work is published.
4. You may submit as many entries as you like.
5.You can enter with your project to maximum 2 other challenges and your work must be new, not published before our challenge has started.

When the challenge ends, our Design Team will vote and pick the best project. It will be awarded with shopping voucher for 13 arts store worth - 60 PLN with free international shipping. The winner will be invited to join us in one of our challenges as Guest Designers. Additionally we will feature few works with biggest number of points. 

"Homesick"

Ok so for those that don't really know I am of Greek heritage. I was born in Greece , not far from the village shown above and migrated to Australia with my family when I was 11. The first 5 years of being here I cried every single day. I hated it. I was extremely lonely. Being the third child after 2 much older boys, and being uprooted from everything you know to be familiar and planted in a foreign country with NO language,  hardly any family, no connections, no attachments .. well that was very tough. 

In 1995 I visited when I finished high school and had great plans to return and live there for a while but I met my husband and well... the rest is history really. LOL 

In 2001, just a couple of years after our wedding we visited Greece and Italy (when my husband is from) and we toured Europe too. How I wish I knew all of you then!!
Well anyway, we promised we would go back every 2-3 years.. well.. we never did. Once we started renovating and having babies well.. the dream was over. So it has been 13 years now. In fact we were there on September 11 2001.. 

I miss it so so much. I come from this very small village called Lasteika. It is not too far from the Ancient Olympic site. My house was just as you enter that road in the picture above , to the left. I can almost see it. My school was across the road in that white building you can see on the right with the red roof. 

My grandparents and first cousin are buried in the cemetery at the top of that hill. 

I ran those streets, I walked those paths. I was very rough. I was a tomboy. I loved it and I miss it :( 
I have such strong connections to Greece still. All my extended family is there. We have no one here :( 

Like I say in my journalling I just want to get there and walk for days and days.. not interested in site seeing, or anything. I just want to walk around and take it all in. 

We just have to wait for Sofia to grow up a little.. wont be long now. 

Anyway.. after that nostalgic essay lets get on to some close ups ...



I applied clear gesso to the base paper as per usual. Then I applied 2 stencils on top of each other together with 13arts modelling paste. 

I then sprayed 13arts Yellow Amber mist and water to spread the water out. 



I created layers with strips of papers and left over scraps from another Timeless paper , Tim Holtz Tissue Taoe and joint tape. I coloured those too with Yellow Amber..
You can also see some chipboard frames which I left neutral. they are from 13arts too. 



I flicked some Yellow Amber and 13arts Black ink for contrast

.


All the flowers are from 13arts. They are handmade and some of my VERY favourite :) I coloured those with Yellow Amber too. 



Adding some metal embellishments and book paper gave it that last vintage look. 

Materials List
(You will find these at the 13arts store HERE or The Flying Unicorn HERE

Paper: 13arts Timeless
Flowers : 13arts
Chipboard Frames: 13arts
Mist: 13arts Yellow Amber
Ink: Black

13arts Gesso, Modelling Paste and Gel Medium


 
Find Me Here...

11 comments:

  1. Love your layout and the heartfelt feelings behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww....that made me sad....it's weird how life gets in the way of Plans.....c'est la vie......gorgeous page, tho....the colours are so evocative of Greece, I think - & love the layers under the photo...& I must say, I am LOVING my clear gesso, too *winks*!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how amazing is this! Gorgeous tropical colours, beautiful journaling and amazing layers of papers and details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do hope you keep your dream in your heart to go back with your family and see your relations over there.. I am sure you will one day!!
    Love the use of yellow, the color makes me feel happy.. and love all the layers under your photo, and the masking and textures look great.. fabulous layout.. I hope your weekend was lovely.. and have a wonderful week this week too.. with a special day for Sofia!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure your dream of walking those streets will come true soon. Your write up made me so emotional..I wish you go there soon and catch up on everything you have been missing since so long!
    Fabulous Layout! The yellow looks so gorgeous and what gorgeous layering behind the photo!! love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning page Nadia!!
    I'm sorry to hear that you miss your place so much and hope you all will see the place again *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids can travel at any age Nadia! When the time is right for you and your husband, the kids will just fit in. Don't let them hold you back. They will love it at any age. It's not like you're going to a dangerous country or anything! Oh yeah - and fabulous layout!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous page! Go go go! Always take the chance when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! The colors, composition, layers - all great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I want to cry after reading this. I had a similar start & still miss my routes. Your layout is as gorgeous as always! Actually came to yr blog to see another lo from yr YouTube but was taken aback by the stunning colour combo here!! Hold on to yr dreams.... :)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your layout.
    You inspired me: http://steffieshexenhaus.blogspot.de/2014/12/for-your-creative-life.html
    Hugs from Germany!
    Steffie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking the time to drop by and leave me a comment. I appreciate it so much!